Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Tearful Celebration ...

Today was the what is normally called the funeral service for my friend Kip. Instead of calling it a funeral service today's event was rightly called a celebration. The music was encouraging and uplifting. Each of his boys shared, as did a foreign exchange student who had lived in their home, a missionary friend, a brother in law and his current pastor. But was not drawn out and I didn't see anyone looking at their watch. The boys sharing was awesome. Each of their personalities came through in the style in which they shared and Kip's personality was evident in each of them. I laughed and cried through all of them, my suit coat probably needs to be dry cleaned from the salty residue now present as the tears flowed. They were tears of rememberance, of sadness at the loss and sadness at what others will miss with Kip passing before the time we would have chosen.

As I sat in the sanctuary today I also remembered other funerals from the years I pastored there as I did I saw many who had sat where Kip's family sat today during those other funerals. Some more tears flowed. But I also noticed the majority of a worship team leading us in worship who had either been college or high school students while I pastored in that place. Now leaders. Some more tears flowed. I looked around and noticed many people I recognized. Children had grown considerably, youth were now adults, newlyweds were parents now, parents were grandparents now and some more tears flowed. These tears were not of sadness but of awe. I was awe at the realization of how blessed I have been to have been impacted by so many of these people. I was in awe at the possiblity that I may have impacted some of them.

Back to the celebration and I began to wonder if the footprints of my life will have half the impact that Kip's life has had and will comtinue to have in the years ahead.

It was a great, though tearful, celebration for a great guy. I am better for having taken in the celebration and especially for knowing Kip. Thanks Kip and remember keep a hoop open for me, we will shoot together again some day.

3 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I could have given you a hug yesterday. At least Curt got to see you. Thanks so much for coming! It is amazing the legacy you left there. Curt and I are testaments to it!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger derryprenkert said...

your presence was noticed... and greatly appreciated!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Missed talking with you after the service...having you there made a difference. You'll always be a part of WMC, so much of who I am I learned from you allowing God to speak through you. We miss you still...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home