Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Difficult admission ...

As I watched some of the inauguration ceremonies yesterday it struck me as to how much the President and his family have to watch what they are doing at nearly all times. That they are expected to show a certain demeanor, certain actions and look a certain way. Imagine how difficult that must be. I don't have to imagine. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I know what it is like to be the President, but I am saying that on a certain level I understand.

I understand what it is like to have people expect you to display a certain demeanor at all times. Most pastors have this expectation from the people in their congregation. We probably have more wriggle room than the President, we certainly have more privacy, but it can be difficult all the same.

I know that this comes with the territory of being the pastor. But it is still difficult. I know that I am not supposed show anger, and that frustration is only allowed occasionally. I know that people don't really want to hear if I discouraged, after all they want me to help them with their discouragement not hear about mine. I know that I am not supposed to have bad days, but the truth is I do and so does my wife and when my kids were still at home so did they.

I am not sure why I am sharing this today. It has been nagging at me for several days and I just decided to go for it. Just remember that your pastor is a real person with real feelings and real issues in his/her life. Throw a prayer up for them today and remember the next you see them a bit discouraged that it is okay. Isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home