Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I miss him ...

My youngest grandson had his first birthday (actually it was the 1st anniversary of his only birthday) this past Saturday. He, and my daughter and son-in-law, had just moved to Arizona 3 days before. We celebrated his birthday on Monday and made it a going away of sorts for the family as all our immediate family gathered at Chukee Cheese (I have no idea how to spell it). Okay, the place was more for the rest of us than the birthday boy, but he enjoyed it. But he is not who this post is about.

This is about someone else's anniversary. Saturday was the first anniversary of my Uncle Junior's passing. Yes, he died the same day that my grandson was born. There was something special about that fact.

I didn't see my uncle very often in recent years, but he was a special guy. Not just to me, but to so many people. Our family for sure, the community he lived in and pretty much anyone he had encountered for more than a few minutes all thought he was special.

I miss his mischeivious smile. I miss his pranks, well sort of. I miss his laugh and how his eyes crinkled up whenever he laughed. I miss his encouragement whenever I would see him or hear from him. I miss riding in the combine with him. I miss talking about Indiana High School basketball with him. I miss him telling embarrassing stories about people, especially other people. I miss knowing that I can go see him. I miss him.

As for my grandson, and his parents, I know that I will see him again before too awfully long. As for my uncle I have the assurance that I will see him again too, because he was a born again follower of Jesus Christ. As for my grandson I have a guess as to how long it will be, as for my uncle I have no idea. But in both cases I know I will be excited to see them and I believe that will be looking for me to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home