Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas Memories ... the Nativity Set

When we went to Dad's parents, yes I know that they were my grandparents, home for Christmas there was one thing I could always count on. Actually there were several things I could always count on, but the one I was thinking of this morning was Grandma's Nativity set. I don't remember a Christmas tree in the house, but there was a beautiful Nativity set by the big picture window every year. That is where we placed our presents and it was the focal point as gave gifts and shared at Christmas. It probably wasn't a true thing of beauty compared to many Nativity sets, but I thought it was awesome. I remember the stable was made of real wood and there were animals in this Nativity set, I think Grandma may have even put some real straw around it, but maybe that is just my memory and not reality. I remember looking at it for long periods of time and always knowing it would be there when we came. Grandma and Grandpa understood, and in their quiet way, wanted all of us to remember that Christmas was really about the birth of Christ. Thanks Grandpa and Grandma, I remember and am trying to help others remember as well.

I could also count of lots of food and lots of homemade candy. French Chewing, Divinity, fudge of several kinds, cookies and of course the four glass jars by the back door filled with chocolate stars, hershey kisses, chocolate covered peanuts or cashews, not to mention the Dairy Queen treats in the freezer. Diets were never considered at Grandma's. I remember the big old kitchen at Grandma's.

I better stop for now, I am drooling on my keyboard.

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving your Christmas memories...and loving the fact you've got your sermons online....missed hearing you, and it's almost liking being there....almost! Merry Christmas, my friend!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home