Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Inadequate ...

Inadequate is not just a feeling I get at times it is a full blown reality. I am reminded of this fact every week as I prepare sermons or lessons and then again as I present those sermons and lessons. I was reminde of this fact again this morning in a powerful way. In some previous posts I have referenced a young lady who was dying of cancer, she died this morning. When went to her house to express my condolences to her parents I not only felt inadequate, I was in fact inadequate. Trying to express condolences to people that I don't know that well about the loss of their 20 something daughter and that their grandchild now has no mother. These parents are my age, but what do you say? I spoke to them, I offered condolences, sympathy and the "if there is anything we can do please let us know" phrase, but it seemed so inadequate.

I am not writing this for any sympathy. How adequate do you feel when attempting to minister? I am coming to the realization that I am in big trouble when I think I am adequate for the ministry task at hand. The apostle Paul wrote in I Corinthians 12:10 "...when I am weak, then I am strong." When we admit our weaknesses and allow God's strength to guide us and flow through us, then we are truly strong. It is not our own strength, because we are inadequate in our own strength, it has to be His strength if is going to be any good.

Yes I am inadequate, but that is okay because God is more than adequate and I need to let Him guide and strengthen me, then I must give Him all the glory. So here's to be inadequate. The good news is I know I have a lot of company when it comes to being inadequate. Right?

1 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I've told you, one of the things I respect the most about you is that you were the first pastor I ever heard say he was inadequate and struggled just like I did. It changed the way I looked at church and I'm thankful. I'm praying with you that you will never be fully adequate, because that leaves no room for Him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home