Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Christmas Concerts ...

Tis the season for Christmas programs and concerts. Last night my associate pastor and I went to a Christmas concert that involved students from 1st through 12th grade. It is that time of year in schools, communities and churches, it comes every year and every year I generally enjoy it. I admit that I don't always get excited to go to some of these events, but I always have some part of them that I really enjoy. Last night was no different, this is a busy week on it's own merit so I was going to the concert with a little chip on my shoulder. You know what I mean, I was going but was thinking of all the other things I need to do this week that I could have been doing, but probably wouldn't have done anyway. That, I confess, was how I was feeling as we arrived.

But as the night wore on I began to feel much differently. The effort of the students was encouraging and Christmas music is always uplifting. It was fun to watch parents and grandparents, to see their proud smiles, to see some tear filled eyes, to see the multitudes of cameras flashing and videos rolling. It brought back memories of when my kids were in those programs. I must admit I went to those programs with a different attitude. Okay, I may have wished that some of the other kids would hurry up so my kids could get on stage. As a pastor I go to many events in which students from my church are participating and there is some sense of pride in their accomplishments. Not I have anything to do with it, but the fact that they are a part of my church family leads to me swelling with some pride.

So here's to Christmas concerts and programs, may you enjoy a couple of your own this Christmas season. If you are not excited to be there, just look around at the parents, the grandparents and look carefully at the students. Then see if you don't enjoy it a lot more as you sense their excitement and their efforts.

P.S.
Here's hoping at some program you experience at least one kid who stumles, picks their nose, lifts their dress over their head, forgets their lines or throws baby Jesus into the manger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home