Monday, December 29, 2008

Monday Morning Musings ...

The Sunday between Christmas and New Year's is generally a difficult Sunday. Many people are traveling, there is the natural let down of just after Christmas and some people look at it as a "throw away" Sunday. We had a surprisingly good Sunday. The spirit in worship was good, and that was with key members of our band missing and many who were supposed to be singing on the worship team absent. We had a baby dedication, which is one of the favorite things that I do in my pastoral role. To see young parents coming forward to commit themselves to raising their child according to God's word and God's will for their child's life is a real blessing. To see the fear, nervousness and excitement in their eyes is cool. This dedication was especially fun because this is a couple for whom I did their wedding and pre-marital counseling. They had several extras who came to be a part of the event.

We recognized the community leader of our Christmas project that gave food baskets and gifts to over 100 families in our community. She came to tell our people thank you for their help but we took advantage of her presence to thank her for the countless hours she puts in leading that great event.

The message went well, but it took a different twist than I had orginally intended when I laid out this series. This was the last part of the "Gifts of Christmas" series. The subtitle of this one was "The Return Policy". We examined the Wise Men, King Herod and the Shepherds and how they responded to the Christmas gift of a Savior and how they returned to others what they had received. I kept asking the congregation what their personal return policy was? How were they returning the gift to others?

We had a good attendance in morning worship, especially for that inbetween Sunday and many regular attenders gone. Sunday evening was a great time of discussion looking at the Lost (Prodigal) Son and the picture of grace that is shown in the story. Attendance was pitiful, but the discussion was meaningful.

This cold, or whatever it is, just won't go away. I am at two weeks and counting. My wife has joined in the fun now, although she doesn't seem to pleased with what I passed on to her. I am ready for this to done.

Here's hoping you have a great week and wonderful beginning to a new calendar year. Is it really going to be 2009?

2 Comments:

At 2:18 AM, Blogger Tim Morris said...

You dedicated our daughter and it was a very meaning day for us.
We have it on tape and watch it once in awhile.
Have a great new year!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Denny said...

Wow, Tim that reminds me how long I have been doing this pastor thing. I enjoyed every dedication. Wish I would have kept track of all of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home