Saturday, December 13, 2008

Burdens ...

As a pastor I feel a sense of burden over a lot of things on a daily basis. One of the biggest arrives every Sunday morning with the sermon. I have been in ministry for over 25 years and I still get worked up and nervous before each and every sermon. If I ever lose that feeling of nerves, getting worked up and burden before a message then I'll figure it is definitely time to do something else. Because when I consider the importance of what I do each and every Sunday morning I feel overwhelmed. The importance of opening God's Word to challenge people and reveal it's truth and application for people's lives is really big stuff.

The burden is heavier sometimes than others. Sometimes the burden is extra for obvious reasons such as a funeral, or addressing a difficult issue in the congregation. Other times the extra burden is in the difficulty of the week that people may know nothing about. Other times the extra burden is of a purely personal nature. Then there are those times when the extra burden is less obvious but still obvious to me in preparation and thoughts. This is one of those weeks where the burden is almost overwhelming for less than obvious reasons. I am incredibly burdened for my church and for tomorrow.

At times like this I go through a checklist. Am I okay spiritually? Is there something I am missing in the congregation or community for which God is trying to get my attention? Do I need to change the message that I have already prepared? That is just a part of the checklist. Sometimes there is an answer that pops out as I go through my checklist, then I know how to attack, or approach, the burden. Sometimes I still feel no specific answer but the burden is still heavy. At those times I keep checking, keep praying, keep preparing and trust God.

If you are so inclined this is one of those times when I especially covet the prayers of family, friends or whoever is willing to pray. Here's hoping your burdens will lighten as you share in mine.

2 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I'm praying....and I will be sending a few up for you tomorrow morning, too.

Keep swingin, brother!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Tim Morris said...

In my prayers this morning

 

Post a Comment

<< Home