Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Whew!

I loved the results and I loved that it is now behind me. I am speaking of my first match as the Varsity Volleyball coach at our High School. There were a lot of nerves rolling around yesterday and especially last night. One of my points to the team before the match was that being nervous was okay, just use that nervous energy to play hard and play well. They didn't realize it but I was really giving myself that speech. Then it began.

One of the big changes between coaching Junior Varsity and Varsity is that JV plays best out of 3 to win a match and Varsity plays best out of 5. Also, there is a much more intense atmosphere around Varsity matches. I did my best to balance the intensity and having fun playing the game. I also was missing 2 players who for reasons beyond their control were not able to get in the minimum number of practices to play in the match last night.

The results were that we won both matches (it was a doubleheader) and we won them both in 3 straight games. We didn't blow them out in any game and in fact one of them went into extra time. I was especially proud that in our first game we fell behind 10-17 and came back to win 25-20. That really set the tone for the match. I am relieved and pleased. We still have much to work on, but it was a good start.

An added bonus was that my daughter's coaching debut as the Junior Varsity coach had a good ending. They lost the first match in 2 straight and came back to win the second match in 2 straight. How cool is that?

Gotta go, lot's to do.

2 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Congrats Coach!!

and congrats to Coach Kin, also...

Fun to hear about the win...but glad you're enjoying it. As you and I both know, coaching is a great opportunity to invest in young lives both in the sport and for His glory.

Keep swingin', Coach!

(But if you'd like to stop swinging the bats on your fantasy team, that would be appreciated this week...or just use those bats to hit Moyer and Zambrano, who tagged me with 18.000 and 12.842 ERAs in their starts last night...sigh...)

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Tim Morris said...

Sounds like a good start! Good luck with the girls.
Have a great week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home