Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Morning Musings ...

Yesterday was an interesting day. I was gone from Monday mid-morning until the early hours of Saturday. So I was still scrambling getting settled, caught up and focused for Sunday. It seemed to me that everyone else had been gone for the week and was scrambling a bit as well, I know they had not been gone but there was a fair amount of scrambling taking place nonetheless. It seemed that the congregation was not as engaged as they have been recently. I don't know if it was the recent snow, the fact that it was Valentine's Day or what. We just seemed to be about a half step off in many areas, or maybe it was just me.

The message asked the question "What will you do with your keys?". In Matthew 16:19 Jesus said, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven". I believe that keys are for things with locks, if there are no locks you need no keys. Therefore, it seems that keys have to intended functions (we do a lot things with keys that they are not intended to do) to lock or to unlock. If we are locking the purpose is to keep something, or someone, in or to keep something, or someone, out. If we are unlocking the purpose is to open the way, to allow someone, or something, in or to allow someone, or something, out. Which of those purposes sounds more like God?

I asked what needs to be unlocked around you? I see a lot of people who need many things unlocked in their lives. We hold the keys for that through Jesus Christ. So what will do with your keys? Keys of no value if you don't use them. They were not created to be held, mounted or shown off. They were created to unlock or lock things. So, what will you do with your keys? When each of my children attained their driver's license and I handed them keys to the car they used the keys to unlock the car, start it and go somewhere. Not one of them said "Thanks Dad, and hid the keys, or just kept them in their pocket, or mounted them on the wall." No, they ran to the car, used the keys and went somewhere.

What will you do with your keys?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home