Thursday, June 18, 2009

Milestone ...

Last night was a milestone of sorts. It was the last youth meeting in which I am in charge. Next Wednesday our new Associate Pastor will be here and it will become his thing. We will be finishing the reward for a contest that just finished, but when it comes to what is being taught and the responsibility for the youth that is his. We have been without a person in this position since the first of July last summer, so it has been nearly a year.

I have learned a lot this year and have an even greater burden for the youth of our community and those who have become a part of our youth ministry. We have maintained a reasonable number during this year and have picked up a few new kids along the way.

I feel bad that I have not been able to give the youth what they need and deserve given my other responsibilities. I am really excited for the future of our youth ministry and great person we have coming to join the ministry team. The youth are really excited as well, and no that does not make me feel bad.

I don't think I will really feel the relief for a couple of more weeks. In response to the statement I have heard from several people who have commented that I will feel like I am on vacation when the new guy arrives, not even close. You obviously don't get ministry, or at least not the ministry of a senior pastor. Yes, I will feel some relief, yes there is a big thing that will not take up near as much space on my ministry plate, but no I will not have less to do. I will instead have time to invest in some other areas. That is the life of a pastor.

But for now, I am focusing on making our new Associate feel as welcome as possible and doing whatever is needed to make his transition as smooth as possible.

Here's hoping that I haven't done too much damage to the youth ministry this past year. Here's to some of the greatest youth anywhere in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home