Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The Masquerade...

Casting Crowns has a great song entitled "Stained Glass Masquerade". It is so real and so true. It begins by asking "Is there anyone that fails? ... Am I the only one in church today, Feelin' so small?" Haven't you ever wondered that on an Sunday morning? I have, and that is while I am up front preaching.

The song continues ... "' 'Cause when I look around, Everybody seems so strong. I know they'll soon discover, That I don't belong." That is a fear that often keeps people away from church and God. It is a fear that keeps our plastic, painted on grins in place on Sundays. The song goes on ... " So I tuck it all away, like everything's okay. If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too. So, with a painted grin, I play the part again. So, everyone will see me the way that I see them." What's with this idea that we have to all look the same and therefore can't be who God created us to be and can't really show the joys and pains of life?

The chorus of the song says ... "Are we happy plastic people, Under shiny plastic steeples, With walls around our weakness, and smiles to hide our pain? But if the invitation's open, To every heart that's broken, Maybe then we close the curtain, On our stained glass masquerade."

I realize that we are looking to be nothing but "whoa is me" every time someone asks how we are doing. But we have to have somewhere, and someone, to say "I am hurting". Where better than at church? That is my dream, to be a church where we can truly rejoice together and be excited for others, but also where we can share the hurts, burdens, failings and fears without worry of judgement. To be a place of hope, healing and hallelujah.

I know it is not easy to be that way. It often makes people uncomfortable at first. I have been chastised in the past for sharing about my own struggles from the pulpit. They told me they didn't want to hear that from their pastor. They said that it discouraged them and I have had it used against me in later conversations. I know it is not easy, but I still believe it is the way of Christ.

What about you, seen any masquerades?

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger samtodd28 said...

We have the same dream my friend! In fact, you were instrumental in birthing this dream in me...dare I say...20+ years ago! Thank you. Your authentic teaching and preaching continues inspired me to know that God loves me right where I am at and will walk with me in the good and difficult. Keep dreamin'! Sam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home