Thursday, April 16, 2009

Invitations follow up ...

I really believe that many people who like their church do not invite many people to attend because they just don't think about it, but that is part of the point. Why don't they think about it when they think about informing friends about a restaurant or movie? I realize that people are not likely to be offended by information about a restaurant or movie and some might be about church. But seriously, when was the last time someone got mad at you for giving them information about a church? Unless we are obnoxious in how we inform them I don't see it happening very often.

It just seems that if something really matters to us that we would be active in telling others about what matters to us. Maybe that is the point, that our church doesn't matter that much to us. I agree that the big issue is Christ and our relationship with him rather than church. But I also know that without a fellowship of believers most of us will drift in our relationship with Christ. We just aren't that disciplined to do it completely on our own, myself included.

Maybe the issue is as simple as the fact that our church does prompt any excitement in us. That we go because we know, or have been told, that we should but are not moved by anthing in our church.

What do you think?

1 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Blogger Tim Morris said...

Not knowing what the person thinks of when hearing the word "church" is one reason we hesitate.
Another is for many of us the church has been the biggest source of pain we have ever had. I used say, even when you were my pastor, I wish my church friends treated me as well as my churchless friends.
I believe the small group setting is the best way to introduce a friend to church community. But that has to be a safe place where acceptance is number one. Example, I have an atheist coming to my house Saturday for a group study. I'm not going to do anything but accept him as he is. Many of His criticisms of the church are valid.
I read blogs by atheists off and on. The church should listen to them and hear what they have to say. Might make a difference on what and how we approach others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home