Saturday, April 11, 2009

What's Your Sign?

No, this is not about your horoscope, but rather what you look for to determine if it is a good day. What are your signs? What determines if you believe it will be a good day or a bad day? What guides your evaluation at the end of a day on whether or not it was a good day?

Too often we, okay I am talking about myself, we look for circumstances that are out of our control to determine if the day will be good or bad. The truth is that our attitude and choices have a lot more control over the fate of the day than mere circumstances. Granted weather can influence a day, especially it changes your plans for the day. However, that does not control whether it is good or bad. Because we can choose to have a good day even with a change in plans. My wife was, and still is, famous for telling our children while they were growing up that they could choose to have a good day or bad day. That statement usually came after some display of a bad attitude. The statement was usually followed by a rolling of the eyes by whichever child the statement was directed toward.

But the statement was, and still is, true. I have been thinking about this recently because I have caught myself getting caught up in circumstances and allowing them to influence whether the day was good or bad, especially on Sundays. The weather, people bailing on responsibilities, technical problems, attendance, and much more but you get the idea. With Easter Sunday tomorrow, I don't want to miss the awesomeness of the day. The day we celebrate Christ's resurrection. The day we focus on the sacrifice He made for us. The day when many who do not normally attend will show up and hear the gospel message. I don't want to miss the greatness of the day by getting hung up on the details. Don't get me wrong, I think the details matter, but I need to be anticipating a great day and looking for the things to celebrate. I don't want to miss it.

So I need to choose not to follow some of the signs that often detour my attitude.

What's your sign? What will you choose to follow this Easter?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home