Sunday, June 07, 2009

Reflections of a Special Night ...

As I posted a couple of days ago my son was ordained on Thursday evening. It is a big deal, it takes study, sacrifice, time and it is a special moment when it is acknowledged. My Dad was able to come for the big event. It was really something special for me to lay hands on my son and daughter-in-law with my Dad as we prayed over them in this service. Then our General Superintendent mentioned that he was the third generation in our family to be ordained in the Nazarene Church and allowed me to hand him his Ordination Certificate. That was so cool, I am smiling and a bit teary eyed as I type this in remembering the moment. Another special part of the night was in realizing that my Dad was ordained on that very same campgrounds 56 years ago this summer.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my son's life and ministry. There are many relatives, Sunday School teachers, youth sponsors and others who have influenced him through the years. Your life, prayers, encouragement and teaching contributed to this special moment and to the fine young man that he is today. There is no way for me to adequately express how much I am indebted to all of you for your part in his life and training. I think moments like Thursday night are what Ray Boltz had in mind when penned the song "Thank You".

It was great to see many people who have been a big part of my life growing up as well. A very special moment was talking with the lady who was my kindergarten Sunday School teacher. She is 95, still driving and maintaining her garden. She is about four and a half feet tall and still a spunky as ever. She pulled me down to her height and talked for quite a while that was so neat. She has a special story about teaching me and the unlikely hood that I would turn out okay, let alone become a pastor. But I will leave that bit of a history for another day. ( I know some of you are still wondering if I am okay, shut it!)

Gotta go, need to get my game face on for the service this morning, but I just had to take a moment and share.

3 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Kindra said...

I LOVED that you said "shut it" in your post!!! Glad to see that your daughters are rubbing off on you...before you know it, you'll be saying "ooooh noooo" (although it's not nearly as cool when you can't hear the voice I'm saying that in! but you know what it is!) :)

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger CousinNae said...

So wanted to share in Thursday night. If Marion were a few hours closer I would have joined in the celebration. Getting to see Uncle V would have been an added bonus. The picture Nic has on her blog is priceless!
Enjoy all the grandkids
Cousin Nae

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Tim Morris said...

Such a wonderful celebration. Of all the crappy things involved with ministry this has to be the height of the opposite. Not only to have your son find value in a shared faith, but what an honor to see him value your call to serve others by responding to what he believes is his call to serve as well.
Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home