Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Heritage ...

As I have already posted (see Sunday and Thursday) last week my son was ordained as a minister. It was a special time just because he was being ordained and all goes into being ordained. It was made more special because my Dad was able to attend and participate in the service. It was 56 years after my Dad was ordained on that very same campground and 22 years after I was ordained.

It really made me pause to think of my heritage. My parents were not only great parents they were tremendous Christians as well. My Dad was an outstanding pastor for 44 years. Both sets of my grandparents were outstanding Christians. They were very involved lay people in their respective churches. My greatgrandfather was Quaker evangelist and widely sought after preacher. All 3 of my aunts were wonderful Christians who were active in serving the Lord, 2 of my uncles were strong Christians and my 3rd uncle became a believer late in his life and was so faithful after his conversion.

I was influenced by my family. I had some tremendous Sunday School teachers and youth sponsors who made a real difference in my life and loved me when I certainly didn't deserve it. I have some wonderful cousins and friends who have made an impact on my life as well.

I have been blessed. I have a rich heritage that I probably don't think about often enough. Last week confronted me with all of this and I am so humbled as think about my heritage.

My prayer is that I am able to have at least some impact on the lives of those around me.

What are you doing to be a part of someone's heritage?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home