Thursday, November 20, 2008

How Do You Respond?

I have been reminded a few times in recent weeks that we have to decide how we will respond when someone else stumbles and falls. What goes through your mind when you hear of someone you know, or know of, who blows it and falls? Do you think , "I knew it, I saw that one coming."? Do you think, "How could they be so dumb?" Do you think, "Better them than me!"? Or do you think, "Ouch, wow that one hurt, they must be hurting too. What can I do to help them?"

I want to respond with the last one. In fact I want to take it a step further, I want also to have it be a reminder that I am weak and that I could fall too, that I need all the help I can get from the Lord and my friends. I want to respond this way, but in all honesty I have sometimes responded with one of the other options.

How can I get better at responding the way I desire to respond? I think that the obvious first step is to pray for the right attitude and to be filled with compassion. I think that I really need to remind myself that I can fall and walk with dependance upon the Lord. I think that I need to let some of those around me who stumble know that I still love them, no matter what. I think that I need to model this in front of my family, friends, community and church.

People are falling, or stumbling toward a fall, all around most of us. How will you respond?

Lord, help me to respond with grace and compassion. Help me ...

1 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Tim Morris said...

Somehow I missed this blog last week but I like it.
It gave me a couple thoughts as I read it.
When we see a stumbling believer we tend to want to see that they have consequences. We don't wish bad things on them but they should have to pay the reaper, and after all they did it to themselves.
I've been guilty of that.
I think accepting people where they are and walking along beside them, saving the judgment for ourselves is key in answering, "What can I do to help them?"
John Fisher wrote today in his blog:
"This kind of worldview is what allows you to come alongside a person rather than face them head on and try and win a fight. This is not a fight, at least not with a person. We don't wrestle flesh and blood (Ephesians 6:12).

We're not out to correct everyone, but to complete the picture they already have, and to do that, you have to care enough to find out what it is. It's the difference between listening and waiting to talk."
Monday, November, 24, 2008
http://www.fischtank.com/ft/inthetank.cfm

I've taken it a little out of his context but it applies.
Thanks for the thoughts,
Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home