Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Reading

I recently finished an awesome book entitled "unChristian". I believe the author is Dave Kinnaman, or something like that, I don't have the book in my office right at the moment. It is a must read for anyone who wants to really make an impact in their world. It is one that will smack you in face and mess with your perceptions of christians and the church. It is a 3 year study of people, most of whom are not believers in Jesus Christ as their Savior. It is really eye opening about those outside of the faith and what they think of christians and the church. We have some real work to undo some perceptions. Many of the ideas from the "outsiders" we have earned, some are misunderstandings and some will always be a struggle. Read it with an open mind and tell me what your impressions of the book are and what surprised you.

I am nearly finished with "Hazards of Being a Man" by Jeffrey E. Miller. It is an excellent study, I have used it with a Men's Bible Study. It addresses 12 hazardous areas that men must address and watch out for in their lives. The chapters on "Unresolved Anger" and "Partial Obedience" were awesome. It is a good read in that each chapter stands alone and there are excellent reflection questions with every chapter.

I am currently devouring "Simple Church" by Thom S. Rainer and Eric Geiger. It is a study of vibrant, life-changing churches and there process for developing disciples of Christ. The overwhelming conclusion is that churches that have a simple process have a much greater impact in their world than those churches who have a complex process. I am very convicted as I read this book and it is really causing me to do some serious evalution of myself, my ministry and the church I pastor. I love thought provoking books and ones that are practical and applicable. Again I believe this one is a must read for any pastor or lay leader. I haven't finished the book but have already been impacted by what I have read.

I have just barely begun to read "Breaking the Missional Code" by Ed Stetzer and David Putnam. Stetzer wrote "Comeback Churches" which is an excellent book. The idea is learning how to be a missionary in your community. How else will we make a difference?

Let me know what you think of any of these books, or let me know what else you are reading.

Happy learning.

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Loving "UnChristian"....but boy, it's a meaty one...it's taking me a while to work through it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home