Thursday, March 20, 2008

Let the games begin

Today is a great day. It is the beginning of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, affectionately known as "March Madness". Games begin just after noon and continue the rest of the day. How cool is that? I have been feeling really lousy all week and need to get better before Sunday. I have had people telling all week to take it easy and this morning my wife asked "Why don't you just stay home and rest today?". So, I believe I am going to do that this afternoon, and I get to watch all of the games provided I don't fall asleep.

Our family has filled out the brackets for the tournament for many years. It is a requirement if you are in our family. That includes daughter and son-in-laws and the grandkids as soon as they are old enough to have some understanding of process. That means that we now have at least 9 filling out brackets. We now keep track of them online since we are scattered around the country.

When my children were still at home the reward was that the family winner got to choose a place for the whole family to go and eat. Of course this meant that even if I won I still paid, but it was fun no matter what. It allows for family trash talking and bragging rights for the next year. My wife came up with a new prize for the winner this year. Everyone who doesn't win must put a post praising the winner on their blog or facebook page. Since 6 of the 9 have one of those it should be fun. The only ones who don't have a blog or facebook page are the 2 grandkids involved and my son-in-law. I believe this is more incentive than a meal. Because we all know that the praises will likely be filled sarcastic platitudes. But I would rather receive those than have to write one.

Yes, I think I am definitely feeling bad enough to rest at home this afternoon. (insert cough and sniffle and imagine a very deep voice)

Here's hoping your brackets crash and I prevail (I say with deep compassion. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to write some sarcastic praise after all.)

3 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger Rob said...

So, Kindra didn't let Seth have a blog page? I guess those "Stones" really are in a jar....so sad....


HA!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Kindra said...

Hey now, just remember.....robbie-pooh that I read these things & see all the cheap shots you take! And your guess is as good as mine as to why Seth doesn't have his own blog. I mean, I've given him permission.....

And dad, somehow I doubt that ANY of us will have trouble with the sarcastic talk. I'm just happy that I won't have to worry about writing any myself :)

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger nic said...

personally, i'd rather have someone mail me a chocolate bar on the very off chance that i win.

notice that the person who suggested this prize only blogs once every three months or so...meaning that the embarrassment is insanely disproportionate for those of us who blog regularly and have hundreds of daily readers. nice idea there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home