Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Deep Thoughts ... Sort of

Last night I went to a funeral home for visitation for a 37 year old lady. I had married she and her husband several years ago during another pastorate. My wife and I felt the need to go and give the husband a hug and assure him of our prayers. We did that, it was tough. Tears are welling up in my eyes as I am typing this a day later. It just doesn't seem like much to give a hug, give assurance of your thoughts and prayers and to just be there for him. But experience has taught me that it is a pretty big deal to be there above all else, to give that hug and promise your prayer support. As we drove home we both commented that it was tough to watch the husband and imagine that he is now alone. Alone way too early as far as we are concerned. I know he has a great church supporting him and he has some family and friends nearby. But it was still tough.

Stuff like last night makes you really think about yourself, your life, your present and most importantly your future. It was also a powerful reminder that we need to be really sensitive to the needs of people around us, those we know well and those we just come across. So take a little time to think about who around you may need a call, a visit, a note or a hug. Let them know you are thinking of them and assure them of your thoughts and prayers. Offer a listening ear if you are able.

We also got to spend some time with a couple of friends for a while after the visitation. It was great to talk, share and laugh. They live near the now widowed husband and I was encouraged to know they would be in contact with him regularly. I was encouraged to reconnect with dear friends. I was encouraged to hear how some we have known are doing. I was encouraged to realize that there are many people who seemed to be looking much older than I perceive myself to look. (I am sure that they went home from the visitation and thought the same about me. But it may me feel good for a moment anyway.) I was encouraged to realize again that "God is still God" no matter what we are facing. May you be encouraged today and encourage someone else as well.

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger superstar said...

just a good life

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Funny how a little perspective like that can change your outlook completely, huh? Just wanted to let you know I'm thankful for your friendship..

Keep swingin'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home