Monday, June 07, 2010

Monday Musings ...

Yesterday was a day of struggle. I have been, and am, really wrestling with big issues in people's lives and emotionally it seemed to really settle in on me yesterday. We were considerably short on our worship band yesterday. We are still missing our projectors so we had to improvise with a portable projector and a smaller worship band. We still had a good time in the spirit as we sang and during our prayer time. Our attendance was nearly a repeat of last Sunday, the kicker is that this was not a holiday weekend.

I continued the series of "Words of Life for Relationships", yesterday's scripture was Psalm 32. The phrase this week was "I am sorry", last week's phrase was "I forgive". I am not sure which phrase is harder to say. The words don't seem to roll off the tongue with much ease. I am not talking about the generic escape version of "sorry". That type takes no personal responsibility. I am speaking of the broken, "I can't believe I hurt you that way" version that really means I am sorry.

Umpire Jim Joyce is the perfect illustration of this phrase last week. If you are not sure who that is, or what it refers to, then google his name and read about the perfect game a pitcher had until Jim Joyce blew a call at first base as the umpire. He saw the replay and admitted he blew it, he face to face with the pitcher and apologized and he publicly admitted that it was all his fault. Yea, saying I am sorry is a really big deal.

Why make this phrase a part of our relationships? Because without it I waste away, Psalm 32:3. If I don't own up to my choices and actions then I literally waste away. We usually know when it was us that screwed up and not someone else's fault. Without it our relationships lose strength. If you can't, or won't, express sorrow for pain that you have cause with whom you have relationships then those relationships will not have the strength that they should. It will also open the door for other types of interference in the relationship. (Psalm 32:4) With it we show honesty and humility and this is true stength. With it we move to restoration, Psalm 32:1-2 describes this in our relationship with Christ. With it we have security in our relationships. Don't you trust someone who you know will own up to their own failings? Doesn't that add to the security of that relationship?

How courageous will you be? Will you own up to your own faults? Will you strengthen your relationships this way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home