Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday's thoughts ...

I was in our church's annual District Assembly Sunday evening through about 1 this afternoon. My laptop decided that my keyboard would not type, therefore, I was not able to post my normal Monday Morning Musings. I am in desperate need of a nap and my back is hurting so I make no guarantees as to the logic of this post.

Sunday was a typical "the Sunday after Easter Sunday". By that I mean that the energy level was way down. With the focus and energy invested into Easter week and Easter Sunday it is common for the following Sunday to feel a little flat, I don't like it but unfortunately it is common. We were missing a couple of our worship band members again and this added to the energy loss.

We did have a couple of really exciting announcements. Our Associate Pastor who serves in our youth ministries announced that he and his wife are expecting their second child who should arrive in November. Every youth pastor ever employed by this church has had a baby while serving here. That is quite a record. Last night that same Associate was officially ordained at our District Assembly that is cool. The other great announcement is that my 6th grandchild arrived on Thursday. A beautiful little girl, she has already stolen my heart which is interesting since it has been stolen many times before, by my awesome wife, by my 3 kids and my other 5 grandkids. The grandchild totals are now boys 4 and girls 2, ranging in age from 5 days old to 12 years old.

My message on Sunday was entitled "Living the Life, After the Lies", since we have just done a study on "The Lies We Believe" from Titus 3:3-8. We need to recognize the lies that we so often fall for and begin to live those lies, but we must also make sure we are living as God intended. We looked at John 10:1-10 and Titus 3:8. We need to realize that God desires for us to live large. John 10:10 says that Christ came that we might have life and "have it to the full". We were not called by God to live passive and boring lives. God says that these things are "excellent and profitable for everyone", Titus 3:8. Profitable means to live your life with meaning and purpose, not a selfish life, but a life lived for others. Excellent means to give it our best. To use your abilities and gifts from God with quality and our best efforts. "Good enough for who it's for" cannot be our motto. Are you doing your best? If not, why? Titus 3:8 also tells us devote ourselves to doing what is good. The dictionary says that devote means "to commit by a solemn act to give over or direct to a cause." Notice the scripture says "doing" not watching, not thinking about doing, not processing, but actually doing. The focus of our doing is what is good according to God's definition. Don't forget that all of this under Christ's protection according to John 10, he is our shepherd. We have his strength, wisdom, guidance and protection.

Are you really living? How are you living? What are you doing? Are you doing your best? What will you do now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home