Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Am I Listening?

One of the things that really stood out to me as I studied for last week's sermon from Matthew 14:22-33 was that in the midst of the wind, the waves, the darkness, and the fear Peter heard Christ. It was between 3 and 6 am, they were battling a storm in their boat and they see something coming toward them on top of the water. The scripture says that "they were terrified" and that they "cried out in fear". My picture of this scene is these grown men screaming like junior high girls (not puttting down junior high girls just giving a word picture) as the wind is howling and the waves are pounding against the hull of the boat and splashing over the sides. In all of this they heard Jesus identify himself and tell them "Don't be afraid". Then Peter makes his request to Christ, that if he is who he said he is to "tell me to come to you on the water". Don't get hung up on the outrageous request rather notice what happens next.

Jesus answered, he gave a one word answer, "Come". That's it, no speech, no instructions, just "Come". In the storm, in the fearful moment, Peter heard him and responded.

That led me to ponder about how many times I have missed Christ's call. How many times have I only heard the wind and missed his call? How many times have I been so focused on the storm all around me that I missed his call? How often have my own screams of fear (mature sounding screams of course) drown out Christ's call?

Peter heard and then he responded.

Here's hoping you and I will listen closer and actually hear Christ's call to us. Not just during the storm but daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home