Friday, June 06, 2008

Another Milestone

There was another significant milestone that took place recently, in fact it was recorded this week. The milestone was Dad's 80th birthday. Congratulations Dad!

My Dad was a pastor for 44 years. He was my pastor for around 22 years of my life. There is no one who has taught me more about being a follower of Christ, about being a pastor, about being man than my Dad. He has always really lived his faith, even in the toughest of times. Just a few months ago my current District Superintendent told me that the greatest advantage I had as a pastor was my Dad. He was referring to the example, the support and the heritage. I agree with my D.S.

Dad has had a lot of physical problems in the past few years but he is still a great supporter, encourager, prayer warrior and faithful reader of this blog. (He would just as soon I not write stuff like this about him, but I imagine he will have a tear in his eye and appreciate it anyway.)

Dad told me how to be a father, how to be a husband and a contributing member of my community. Dad was a very good preacher and a very good pastor. Though he retired several years ago I still have many pastors come up to me and tell me how much he meant to them as they were beginning their own ministry. He was always a leader on his District.

He was a good athlete and still hit the softball well into his late 50's and early 60's. He would play basketball with his grandkids and I remember him diving on the floor and getting a rug burn going after a ball during one those games when he was in his 60's.

He always encouraged me in whatever I decided to attempt, sometimes even when it didn't make sense to him. He always listened when I sought advice, he would make me think through things from all angles, he would give me some input, but he never told me what to do, that was up to me. (I am speaking about life as an adult, when I was kid my parents parented me they didn't let me dictate to them. Just a hint to many parents I see today who are letting their kids call the shots.)

He is proud of his grandkids, and greatgrandkids and he prays for them alot.

So here's to my Dad, one of my heroes. Happy Birthday Dad, I love you!

2 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger Kindra said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA!!!!!!

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In trying to think about what I am going to say this Sunday for my LAST (thank goodness), time of sharing, and I have been thinking about the men in my life. You're dad being one of them. What a heritage you have with him and your grandfathers. Your dad is truly a man of God!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home