Thursday, June 05, 2008

A Milestone ...

A couple of Sundays ago was a milestone moment that I haven't written about and didn't mention it at my church either. That Sunday marked my 25th Anniversary in ministry. 25 years is a long time, and especially when you consider that I taught Special Education in public schools for 5 years before I began my ministry. Well actually, I taught 4 years before and I still taught for the 1st year of my ministry.

It was a somewhat long and winding road to begin my pastoral ministry, but I believe that background of teaching, of being an active layperson in church and of living out my faith in the "real world" before I became a pastor was a great foundation. Growing up as a pastor's child I never envisioned being a pastor myself. The children's and youth workers in the churches in which I grew up were probably among the most surprised people on earth when I became a pastor. I know because some of them have admitted that fact.

From ministering as an Associate Pastor working mainly with youth, to ministering for a year at a Bible College and to many years as a Senior Pastor, it has been a fascinating journey. The best part has always been the people, and the worst part has at times been some of the people. The great moments far outdistance the bad moments. There have been great times of joy and celebration and there have been many times of sadness in sharing in people's lives. Maybe I will post some highlights in upcoming weeks.

Thanks for sharing this milestone moment with me. Now I think I will go write a sermon in celebration, or maybe I will go home and hug my wife. She deserves much praise, a pastor's spouse is one of the least understood, and most difficult, position in the church. So thanks honey for all your support, prayers, encouragement and the endless times of being a sounding board. You are the greatest.

3 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Tim Morris said...

He was tall and lean,
and he had allot of hair

He was a Nazarene,
He rebelled a little there.

From your 40th birthday party

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Rob said...

congrats, my friend....I hope you have 25 more!

Keep swingin...

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so blessed to have been under your ministry for 3 too-short years. And I will never forget the first time I met you at Kids Camp in Weeping Water, Nebraska. Daddy Dennis - that's what we called you. What was I, about 9 or 10 years old then?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home