Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Christmas Lists ...

I have a confession to make, I do not enjoy making Christmas lists. There I said it. Does anyone else agree with me? I am not sure what it is about making Christmas lists that I don't like, I am speaking of a list for myself. Don't get the wrong idea, I love Christmas, I love the decorating (okay, I love seeing the decorations not doing them, the wife would have strong objections to this if didn't but that in here), I love seeing excited or pleased looks on people's faces as they open a gift, I love the celebration of the birth of Jesus as the real reason for the season, I love being with family whenever possible, I love the smell of Christmas trees and Christmas treats, I love reflecting on how much God loves to have sent his son to us, I love the songs of Christmas, but I don't like making a personal Christmas list.

I bring this up because it is the time of year where everyone seems to be asking each other for a Christmas list. Our family is going high tech this year and sharing the lists on the web. I have no problem with that idea and it will make it easier to read instead of some our handwriting for sure. Maybe it is the idea of saying what I want you to buy for me. Maybe it is the realization that I really don't need anything else. Maybe it is the fact that I would seriously rather give a gift than get one. But whatever it is I don't enjoy it.

Of course at this point my wife, kids and kids-in-law are all saying this shouldn't be a big deal because my wife generally gives everyone my list anyway. That is true, mainly because I don't like to give my own list. Don't misunderstand, I enjoy the gifts I receive and I am truly appreciative of the love with which they are given.

Some families get into a long process, almost a legal process, when it comes to Christmas lists. They will discuss for hours who should buy for whom and how much should they spend, what will the minimum and maximum be. In one church I pastored (long, long ago, in a land far, far away) one man in the church told me of a discussion his family was having regarding the giving of gifts and lists. After much time had elapsed he suggested that he had the answer. He said they should al stand in a circle and each one should pass a twenty dollar bill to the person on their right and be done with it.

Our family is great about the lists and the giving. Now if they would just let me get away without giving a list it would be almost perfect. How about it? Oh well, here is to the lists and more importantly to the giving they will produce.

3 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Kindra said...

Alright Scrooge!!! You would think that you'd be used to this by now, every year it comes and every year you're forced to make a Christmas list. Let me also say that "socks, undershirts & sports magazines" is NOT a sufficient list! We all realize that there are things you don't necessarily NEED, but that's the fun part about Christmas, you can get things you WANT and I know there are plenty of those things. Now quit your whinin' and hop to it!!!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger nic said...

LOL, amen, Kindra! :)

Seriously, though, many people agree with you. Ann hated lists because of the sticky etiquette of it all--and she's right, it's rude for us to ask for gifts.

But for me it's a practicality thing. I'm going to get you something no matter what, and I'd really prefer to get you something you'll actually like/use, so at least point me in the right direction and increase my odds with this, kay? please??

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Todd Owens said...

You could always just take my perfected method...just leave things blank.

My problem is similar to yours, I feel awkward asking, but I also pretty much don't know what I even want.

So to you sir I say...stay strong...fight the man!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home