Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday Morning Musings ...

I have to start this one with an admission and apology. The admission is that my sermon yesterday morning was not good, no that is too kind, it stunk. As I preached it I did not like it and afterward I was sick to my stomach thinking about it. Thus the apology to anyone who had to endure it and might read this blog, I am so sorry. It was so bad I didn't even get the perfunctory "nice sermon pastor" that you always get from people. Man was that bad. Don't get me wrong, it was God's fault, it wasn't the Bible's fault, it wasn't my congregation's fault, it wasn't the music's fault, it wasn't anyone's fault but mine. The content was okay, but as my wife said afterward there no "ummpphh to it". I am assuming that by "ummpphh" she meant anything to make it memorable and meaningful.

While we are talking about the perfunctory "nice sermon" comments (at least I was talking about them and since you are reading my blog then by default you are at the very least thinking about them). You might want to think about that comment before making it to your pastor. For example if I notice that you were napping, snoozing, nodding off or checking your eyelids for holes, then you comment really lacks great significance. For another thing, hey I am a pastor when has a pastor only had one point, having our sermon called nice is rarely what we hope to hear. Meaningful, applicable, thought provoking, insightful, are great to hear. I even like okay, not bad, I disagree and it made me mad. You see these comments show that you were probably listening and that something has you still thinking about the sermon. Oh yes, I am okay with you saying, "it made me mad" or "I disagree", because we then have grounds for further discussion. Also, it means that you are likely to check about some things that week to see for yourself. But "nice" no thank you, that is not the impact I was going for when I prepared. The good news is I didn't hear "nice" yesterday, so I guess I accomplished one good thing.

So much for musings, I guess today was more a confession than a muse. Until next time ...

1 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Rob said...

It's OK to suck.....and even better to admit when you do...that doesn't make you a bad pastor...it makes you just like the rest of us, but with a different job....Bad sermons or not, I'd still step in front of a bus for you, my friend....Keep swingin....even the best hitters miss 6 out of 10!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home