Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Love Story continued

We returned from Christmas break and things just started moving forward, but not without a faux glitch on the horizon. It looked like a glitch, but sometimes looks can be deceiving. As January began we began talking more and more seriously about the future. We danced around things by asking each other “What if …” questions about our ideas of relationships, marriage, family and more. The “what ifs” got more and more specific and the picture of the desired future started to come into focus. I don’t know exactly when it happened, there were no shooting stars and no writing on the wall, but the time came when I realize this is who I want to spend the rest of my life with. As I held that knowledge I began plotting how to share that truth with Jody. I had decided that it was time to ask her to marry me. I didn’t plan anything elaborate, I just thought I would ask. (I know I have shattered your image of the moment haven’t I?)

We were out on a date one night and we were having some more our “what if” discussions. Jody suddenly scooted away from me and declared that she was not talking about the “what ifs” anymore. When I asked why, she replied that she wasn’t going to keep talking about the future any more because I hadn’t asked her the question. My reaction (now remember I already knew that I was going to ask) was to smile and maybe a chuckle escaped my lips. Evidently that was not the reaction she was expecting nor hoping I would give. – Timeout – do you remember the story of my first visit to her house and the fender bender in the snow? Do you remember her reaction to that incident? If not go back and read it. So I felt entitled to my chuckle at that moment. – Time in –

Later in the evening, when I had convinced her to get near me again, I asked the question. She said yes! We embraced the moment and then in moments she wanted to go back to campus. That was not what I had imagined, and besides it was way before the dorm curfew. When I asked why she wanted to go back so early she replied with a large smile that it was so she could tell people that we were now engaged. So we returned to campus, walked up to her dorm entrance, she gave me a big hug and kiss and said good night! It was about 10:30!!! She ran inside and I soon heard some squealing. I turned around and headed to my dorm. There was no one to tell, all of my buddies were out on dates. So there I sat, in my dorm freshly engaged and all by myself. It was a pitiful picture.

Sometime later the phone in my room rang and it was Jody telling me she loved me and that she was having a blast telling people that we were engaged. Then she hung up and there I sat. Did I mention that I was all alone? Two or three hours later my buddies came in and told them. Unlike at Jody’s dorm there was no squealing. There were congrats,(“Way to go Sundance!” Did I mention that was my nickname in college?) handshakes and some pats on the back. It was all, you know, guy style.

The next day arrived and I realized that I should let my parents know that I was now engaged. I hadn’t really thought that part through, so I …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home