Thursday, March 11, 2010

Turning the Tables ...

Yesterday I called a friend who has been going through some difficult things to see how they were doing. The purpose of the call was to find out how he was doing and to attempt to encourage him. The first part of the purpose was accomplished. I got good information on how everything was going and it will allow me to pray more specifically for him. The second half of the purpose, not so much. In fact, while my purpose was to encourage him, he turned the tables and proceeded to encourage me.

He asked how I was doing, not your generic "How ya' doing?", but a sincere inquiry into how I was really doing. You know the difference between those two when someone asks. He was concerned about me. It is possible that he was just trying to deflect attention away from himself, but I know him well enough to know that he was truly concerned for me.

It was great and frustrating all at the same time. Great to know that someone cared and that someone who cares was that perceptive. Frustrating when I was trying to encourage him and suddenly I was talking about me.

It shows his character and how truly compassionate he is, though he will not like reading this blog post.

In a way I am trying to figure out if I am more encouraged by his concern for me, or ticked that I didn't accomplish my purpose of encouraging him.

Can you relate in any way?

1 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I can relate.. ;-)

Know that you encouraged me just by the fact that you took the time to call and see how I was doing. That meant far more to me than I can express in words. Even though we are far apart now, you are still my brother, and I'm thankful for the fact that we can keep our relationship going despite the distance. Can't wait to see you at the draft!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home