Friday, August 31, 2007

The First One is Sweet

As I have mentioned recently, I am coaching Junior Varsity Volleyball at our local High School this year. I have coached a lot of things in the past, but never volleyball. Last night was our first match of the year. It was a doubleheader, simply meaning we played a match and then turned right around and played the same school in a second match. This team has already played 4 or 5 matches. We looked bad in the first game and got beat 25-12, we improved a lot in the second the game but still lost 25-16, thus we lost our first match of the year. In the next match we won 25-16 and controlled the game from start to finish. The next game was back and forth and went overtime, with the score 27-25 we won. That means we won the match! We are officially 1-1, but feeling very good because we improved in each game.

We didn't always play great technically but we really hustled. We have a lot to work on, but all in all it was a good night. We won a match, I didn't make a fool of myself, the girls really hustled, we had some people attend and make some noise, the team we beat is in our conference. Did I mention that my Junior Varsity team is made up of 9 freshmen and only 4 sophomores?

We have a lot to work on in practice today, but it will be easy to keep their attention after last night. My voice is a bit raspy from, well let's just say from coaching. I feel much better about this whole coaching thing after last night and am really looking forward to the year.

Here's hoping you find something to excited about today. If not, just rejoice with my team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home