Tuesday, August 09, 2011

A Love Story continued ...

(I am going out of order in the Love Story because today is our 36th wedding anniversary.)

36 years ago today I stood holding Jody’s hands and pledged my undying love for her and vowed to be her husband for life. I realize now that I didn’t have much of a clue as to what that really meant nor how much work is involved in making a marriage work and last. I don’t regret it all and am more in love with her today than I was that day in Michigan 36 years ago.

She is the love of my life. She is more beautiful today than she even was on our wedding day and she really good that day. But the beauty today is not just physically but I see the physical beauty, the spiritual beauty and the beauty of her character. Wow! I see her through eyes filled with 36 years of memories. Not all of the memories are good moment, but that are memories of us facing everything together.

36 years later we have 3 children, 2 wonderful kids in law and soon to be 3 kids in law. I couldn’t have hoped for anything more in my kids. We have 7 terrific grandkids, and #8 is on the way. I could never imagine the joy of being a grandparent, but I love it. I cannot adequately express my joy in the way our kids have turned out and the choices they are making. They love the Lord and are serving him. They are great people of character. They don’t mind having us around and talk with us often. I am very proud of my children, their spouses and the grandkids.

I could not imagine 36 years where we would be today. I imagined me teaching school and coaching basketball. I would not have imagined starting in education and now having pastored for over 28 years.

We have buried 3 parents and 2 grandparents. We have moved more times than I care to remember. We have lived in 8 states and have traveled to Kenya (we would go back in a heart beat). We have lived in apartments, a couple of trailers, a couple of parsonages and few other homes. Through it all we were together.

So today I wish very Happy Anniversary to my bride. We are together, off on a brief getaway. I can’t wait to see what the next phase our life will be, I don’t pretend know where we will be, but I know who I will be with.

I love you, honey.

1 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Simply awesome, my friend...congrats and thanks not only for being our friends...but models of what a marriage is supposed to be. Love you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home