Friday, June 10, 2011

The Wedding ...

This past weekend my wife and I traveled 600+ miles west to participate in one of our niece's wedding. I had the privilege of doing the wedding and my wife helped a lot with decorations and other things. As the minister for a wedding I get a unique view of everything. I get to see people's reactions and I get to see the couple's interaction up close and personal. That includes hearing comments they mutter to each other between phases of the ceremony.

It is impossible to do the wedding of a relative and not have your mind race through past events and images. In my mind I went back to her toddler days, of times together at the lake, of seeing her as a teenager, of some birthday parties, of seeing her work at a daycare and now seeing her as a bride. What a joy to see the growth and participate in this life changing moment.

We made through everything involved in a wedding. They are married and on their honeymoon. In a few days they will begin to adjust to their life together. The prayer is that it is a lifetime together.

It was great to spend a little time with my Dad and stepmom. It was great to see some other relatives and old friends. It was a long trip, over 1,600 miles driven, and a couple of long days in preparation and completion of the wedding in between the travel.

I arrived home to broken A/C units at church and a bunch of other stuff. I had a church board meeting in the evening of my first day back. Talk about hitting the ground running.

It was great to be a part of this momentous event, it was good to be away for a little while, but I think we need some time to catch our breath from being away.

Here's to a special couple and their new life together from their great uncle. No really I am a great uncle. Technically, because the bride is my great niece, and literally just because I am, or at least I was for a weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home