Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas 1975 ...

The place was Kankakee (actually Bourbonnais) Illinois. It was our first Christmas as a married couple, we had one Christmas as a dating couple (we got engaged about a month later), but this was our first as Mr. & Mrs. I was still a full-time student at Olivet Nazarene and I was still playing Basketball. Jody was working either at a nursing home or at Olivet, I can't remember exactly when she switched from the Nursing home to the college. We were living in what was affectionately, sometimes not so affectionately, known as "Trailerville". It was a small area of 3 short streets that had nothing but mobile homes and nothing but Olivet married students occupying said trailers. We had been married just a little over 4 months as we celebrated Christmas. Jody had done a fine job of decorating our trailer, which was no easy task with the awful aqua colors of the countertops, oven, fridge and kitchen sink. I was working part-time as a shoe salesman while a student and basketball player. Our monthly trailer payment was $85 and $15 for lot rent which included trash pick up.

It was a magical time. I remember our celebration at the trailer with just the 2 of us, we went to my parents and Jody's parents as well. To be honest I don't remember much of the Christmas at the parents other than it was great to be with family. But I can still picture the time we sat on the floor in front of our little tree and exchanged a couple of presents. It was a magical time.

This year we will share our 33rd Christmas together. There will be 12 of us this time, and the home is much nicer and much bigger. The tree is bigger and better decorated, but it is still crooked and already all dried out, but I am still celebrating with the love of my life. The bonus is that I get to share it with 10 other people whom I love more than I can express. We will not be with any of our parents. This will be the 28th Christmas without Jody's Dad and the 8th without her Mom, and it will be the 21st one without my Mom. My Dad and stepmom will be in Kansas City, but all of them will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Many things have changed since 1975, a lot less hair and some more of me to love (hey it is touching moment don't ruin it with a snicker). We have been in several places and a few different states through the years, but we are still celebrating the awesome truth of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ above all eles. We are still together and loving each other. There many loved who are not with us and whom we miss greatly. There are many new ones in our family and I cannot imagine life without any one of them.

I am blessed and am looking forward to a very Merry Christmas. Here's hoping you will have contact with ones you love and will remember the real reason for the season. Have a Blessed Christmas and be sure to share it with someone.

2 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Rob said...

great memories....the older I get, the more those times mean to me...and the more I try to focus on making those with the kids instead of focusing on what to get them. Thanks for sharing, my friend, and have a Merry Christmas!!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awww! I love how in love you and Jody are!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home