Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Love Story continued ...

A funny moment was when Jody asked the doctor … if she was going to get any pain drugs if they went ahead with the C-section. When the doctor told her yes, she quickly answered do it. After 15 hours of labor her feelings were understandable. After signing the consent for surgery I kissed Jody and left for the waiting room. I called my parents to let them know what was happening and sat down to pray and wait. I had been very concerned about the health of our baby during the last couple months of the pregnancy. One of the places I regularly visited in my job was a facility for severely injured children. Many who were born with the problems with which they now lived. As a result of seeing the impact of birth defects up close and personal, I was concerned. This emergency in the delivery only heightened my concerns.

My mom showed up soon after I called and waited with me. My dad was a pastor and I called right as a service was beginning so he was not able to be at the hospital, but I knew he and the church were praying. My mom didn’t say much, but her presence and touch meant so much to me. My eyes are tearing up as I remember those moments.

After what seemed like a couple of hours, but was less than one hour, the doctor arrived to tell me we had a baby boy. My reaction was to search the doctor’s face for any sign of trouble, knowing my concerns he quickly added, “10 fingers, 10 toes, and everything is in the right place and working”. Then I smiled and heaved a huge sigh of relief, I turned and gave my mom a huge hug. A few minutes later I met my son for the first time and double checked to make sure the doctor counted correctly. I then went to a pay phone (that’s right a pay phone, can you even find one of those today?) and began making the calls to family. After several more minutes I was allowed back to see Jody. We enjoyed a few moments of joy over the healthy gift we had just been introduced to and we didn’t say a lot. Some of that was because she was exhausted and under the influence of drugs and some of it was the relief that both she and the baby were okay.

By the time I finally got back to our place that night it was 21 hours after Jody woke up with her water breaking. We had thrown the bedding in the washer before we left for the hospital. I looked at the bed with no sheets or blankets on it and just plopped down on it. I believe it took me about a nanosecond to fall asleep. But I went to sleep with a smile on my face. I knew I was blessed. I had a wife I loved and adored. I had a healthy son. I had loving and supportive family around me. I knew the forgiveness of my Savior. I slept well that night.

The next morning dawned and I realized that I was now a father. What?! Now what?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home