Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Distractions continued ...

I posted last week about distractions, giving a partial list of things that I allow to distract me and said I would post further about why I get distracted. This is an attempt to address the whys.



First of all I must admit that many of the things that become distractions are only distractions because I allow them to become a distraction. Their are some things that are distractions that are forced upon us, but most of things are really a choice we make to be distracted. The why of the forced distractions is basically a non-issue. People stopping by to talk is one of those items and is not really fair to be labeled a distraction, I want to talk with people and especially when they are seeking a listening ear, encouragement or counsel.

I have come to realize that I can be my own worst enemy when it comes to distractions. I tend to seek them when I am either working on something that I am not excited to be doing or when I am struggling to finish something. In those times I begin to seek out distractions. I look around and then start to wonder about other things that should not be the priority at that moment. I begin to search my mind for other things that are undone and begin to work on those, or at least think of work on them. Am I alone in this?

There is probably something in me that delays the finish of some projects becasue I am not confident that my finished product will meet some standard that I have created. So the irrational thinking that takes over is that if it is not finished then I have not fallen short of the expectation. I know, I know, this is not a rational thought process, but I can live it this bubble at times.

There are other times that I just don't want to be doing what I am doing at that time and therefore welcome a distraction. If none presents itself then I create one. So maybe I should just view much of this distraction ordeal as creative thinking. Yes, I like that thought. I am just being creative. Creative thinking is a good thing. Therefore I am doing a good thing. Wait, what was I posting about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home